Isle of Man TT races

Brit

Is lost in translation...
Gick med
9 May 2007
Hoj
Something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue
I'm off to the IoM for 10 days, anyone else going from here?

I'm planning on leaving Sweden towards the end of May with the bike in the van, having a few days in mainland UK and then taking the ferry to IoM on the 31st May.
I'm going with a few mates from UK to IoM and we plan on doing a few laps of the track as its still one of the few UK public roads that has sections with no speed limits. :tummenupp

Getting there is the easy part as somewhere to stay/sleep took some searching but its all sorted now...

conkers

Ny medlem
Gick med
9 Sep 2010
Hoj
Triumph Daytona 955i Centennial Edition 2002. Norton Commando '69 Cafe
How you getting the van to England?
Drive all the way, rödby-puttgarten and eurotunnel?

I was planning on going next year, not sure I can get my shit together in time for this year...
I had planned to take the DFDS freight boat from Gothenburg to Immingham, 200 (ish) km over England and ferry to IOM. Not sure about accomodation as that is the hard bit isn't it?
Where are you staying over there and what will it cost?

Lots of questions...

Theoretically if I can get time off work (week? 10 days?) and you have spaces where you are staying I might be able to go this year....

Mike (Trollhättan)

....i am also in two minds as to whether to go for the IOMTT (May-June) or the IOMGP in (Aug-Sept) as I have heard that the GP is a better event to attend with a greater variation of bikes and less people... but I am not sure.....
Any ideas?

Mike

Last edited:

Brit

Gick med
9 May 2007
Hoj
Yes, I'm driving all the way as I have done all the Sweden – UK routes and the quickest is driving.
(Two months ago 2 of us left Kristianstad at 6pm and arrived in London the following morning ready for lunch)
The route I take is the quickest & cheapest, over the bridge using the BroKort into Denmark, onto the rödby-puttgarten ferry but then driving to Dunkirk or Ostende as the euro tunnel is very expensive.

A few of us have rented a house and its pretty full but we booked this last year to make sure we had somewhere so sleep off the beers.

I'm off to the IoM for the whole package as it combines so many things in one event – lots of races, lots of pubs – enough said

conkers

Ny medlem
Gick med
9 Sep 2010
Hoj
Yeah I can see your point... but from here the drive is an extra 700km round trip (and I sold my van!).
Freight boat costs about 4000kr round trip and the mileage is minimal...

Did the road trip back from uk when our flight was cancelled because of the volcanic ash a year ago. Bath to Trollhättan was 28hrs I think, but we all slept the whole day after we got home. At least you get a good nights sleep on the boat, compared to the eurotunnel!

Do you have room for 2 additional ex-pat Brits in the house you've rented. We've got no problems sleeping on the floor.

Mike.

0731 807637

Brit

Gick med
9 May 2007
Hoj
Sadly the home owner has put a limit on how many can stay in her 2 bed home to 4/5 and we have reached that number and we even asked if we could put a tent on her lawn but that was refused :)

Geggamoja

Gick med
12 May 2009
Hoj
Ducati Fika Racer
I might have two beds availible in our motel room. It's a 4 bed room and two of our guys might have to work instead of going there. PM me if there is any interest! The price is a bit less the 3000kr for a week (30 may - 6 june).

conkers

Ny medlem
Gick med
9 Sep 2010
Hoj
Sadly the home owner has put a limit on how many can stay in her 2 bed home to 4/5 and we have reached that number and we even asked if we could put a tent on her lawn but that was refused :)

Ah... then I misunderstood your reason for posting.
Thought you were looking for people to join your crew!

Brit

Gick med
9 May 2007
Hoj
Ah... then I misunderstood your reason for posting.
Thought you were looking for people to join your crew!

Ah, sorry as I asking if anyone was there at the same time who could meet up for a pint or two.

Japanviking

Medlem
Gick med
4 Feb 2005
Hoj
KTM 400EXC, 1200GS
I will be on the island as usual. Will be there with a Japanese rider racing for the German BMW team.

Really looking forward to it :yoparty

conkers

Ny medlem
Gick med
9 Sep 2010
Hoj
And as always, let me know if you have your ways past the green isle, during your stay abroad. :tummenupp

I'll be in Ireland at the end of August (26-29th) for the Singlespeed World Mountainbike Championship Event. 3 of us Flying into Dublin and heading southwest to Mallow (?).
Was gonna rent a car, but if you know someone with a big car or van for rent it might be cheaper?
Any suggestions?

Mike

dMaN24

En sån där utlänning..
Gick med
8 Feb 2010
Hoj
Vi får se.
I'll be in Ireland at the end of August (26-29th) for the Singlespeed World Mountainbike Championship Event. 3 of us Flying into Dublin and heading southwest to Mallow (?).
Was gonna rent a car, but if you know someone with a big car or van for rent it might be cheaper?
Any suggestions?

Mike

Not sure but i'll have a look around. Surely they can't be hard to find. :tummenupp

dMaN24

En sån där utlänning..
Gick med
8 Feb 2010
Hoj
Vi får se.
Good point Chunky Monkey. Since the car is insured by the driver it might be a hassle for the owner of the actual car. Most do have third party, but if they don't it could get really messy, really quick. So i would recommend rentals.

Will my personal Auto Policy cover me in Ireland?
We can not accept the insurance coverage of a hirer if his/her policy is not a fully comprehensive Irish policy. Insurance coverage from overseas companies or insurers is not accepted due to past problems experienced. This is normal policy for Irish Car rental companies.

Brit

Gick med
9 May 2007
Hoj
I tend to borrow my mates car quite often when I'm in bighty, they call the insurance company and I'm insured right away.
This costs about a tenner or a few beers :tummenupp

conkers

Ny medlem
Gick med
9 Sep 2010
Hoj
Good point Chunky Monkey. Since the car is insured by the driver it might be a hassle for the owner of the actual car. Most do have third party, but if they don't it could get really messy, really quick. So i would recommend rentals.

Valid Point.....
But I thought that the Irish didn't bother with tax insurance mot etc... ;-)

Will rent a car and punish it to get our moneys worth!

he he....

Mike

Nyheter
Ola Stenegärd på MC Collection

Sverige har begåvats med et...

Motorcyklisternas och MC-industrins manifest

Under tisdagen presenterade...

Motorcyklisternas och MC-industrins manifest

Under tisdagen presenterade...

Provkörningsduell, Ducati Hypermotard 698 Mono mot Husqvarna 701 SM!

Just nu är Allt om MC på et...

Course 3-i-1 Paketpris – Förarens val

I den spännande världen av ...

Eldrivna Oruga Unitrack

Oruga Unitrack, en motorcyk...

Distinguished Gentlemans Ride 2024 körs 19 maj

Söndag 19 maj är det dags f...

Boka provkörning under Start2Ride nu

Under helgen arrangerar mot...

Dags för 2024 års Start2Ride

Kommande helg arrangerar mo...

Härlig uppslutning på kortegen i Sydnärke!

Den traditionsenliga mc-kor...