Are tucked licence plates a cop magnet?

owg1

Ny medlem
Gick med
26 Jan 2022
Hoj
None :(
Hey, hope English is okay, I'm not fully there with written Swedish yet.

I've seen people riding around with tucked plates (an example https://i.redd.it/sqlcp4ponuxa1.jpg), I'm assuming they won't pass inspection (anyone tried?), but what's the likelyhood of getting stopped with one? And if you did what would the penalties be?

I've seen you can get a kit with a light for the plate for my bike, so I'm tempted, it's the cleanest possible looking solution.

Also while I'm here, are there any rules I need to know about lane splitting / filtering? I see people do it, but I couldn't exactly find out if it was legal or not.

Thanks!

Ulvhamne

Kraschmongo
Gick med
16 Oct 2010
Hoj
Literklubba, tjejhundra, och pendlarmoppe
Lane splitting is a gray area, everyone tolerates it because it's more practical than having motorcycles clogging the lanes. It's one of those things where it's kinda allowed in law if you squint enough.
You won't be stopped for doing it as long as you do it considerately. Also, doing it in small towns where people aren't used to it makes it far more sketchy.
As far as tucked plates, yeah that'll make the cops want to have a chat once in a while and won't pass inspection. People do it anyway.
Getting a tail tidy will attract less interest from cops and will pass inspection.

notrightrider

I see you...
Gick med
17 Sep 2012
Hoj
Pick a number.
Also while I'm here, are there any rules I need to know about lane splitting / filtering? I see people do it, but I couldn't exactly find out if it was legal or not.

Exactly! ;)

It is not illegal.
...if done with prudence, on the left side of the car you pass - and never in interference with a solid white line.

So, legal. Up until something happens.
But, the way the law is written may very well turn on you.

It reads: "if it can be done without risk" and that's the nasty bit.
A crash can be seen as self explanatory: "You DID crash. Ergo = it couldnt be done without risk."

No, it has not been tried in higher court.

You'd better learn the full meaning of the Swedish saying: "lagom är bäst."

Just take it easy and you'll be fine.

The Swedish Motorcyclists organisation offers (some) legal help to its members. Make sure to register.

Last edited:

ething

Med lem
Gick med
22 Jul 2003
Hoj
Husaberg FS650, KTM SXF 450
Welcome.

License plate: The law says it has to be visible to an officer standing behind the bike, so a tucked plate may give a fine. The law also states that it should be illuminated. They've gotten smart and added that your bike is not meeting specifications as well, meaning that you have to take it for a "registration inspection" as well as paying the fine.

Lane splitting: A gray zone here. Done safely and with respect is normally not an issue. Done "as we normally do it" is reckless driving. I tried to ask "what if you go fast enough to see the cars as cones and use them for slalom practise?", the officer did not find my question amusing at all, good thing he thought I was joking.

owg1

Ny medlem
Gick med
26 Jan 2022
Hoj
Thanks for the replies!

I'll probably just go for a regular tail tidy and not tuck the plate, but I would be interested to hear from someone who has tucked theirs.

Aryey

Masjävel and proud of it!
Gick med
16 Aug 2007
Hoj
Looking...
Regarding tailtidy I´ve always bought PUIG-tail tidys because they´re foldable. So if the cops stops you all you need to do is pull it down and it´s legal again.
They are also really well made and easy to install.
The best way to buy one is from ebay.

mpostma

Medlem
Gick med
7 Oct 2015
Hoj
Yamaha FZ6S Fazer 04
I have learned to drive in Holland where lane splitting is very common practice and allowed with certain recommendations (not faster than 40 km/h and speed diff of max 10 km/h). I practice it in Sweden as well in the same manner. I usually drive in Gothenburg area on crowded motorways during rush hours where lane splitting is real benefit for my motorcycle commutes.

As far as I know it's more grey zone in Sweden. Indeed "lagom is best". You might not be supported if you get hit and I suppose cops do tolerate if you lane split in a modest way, but you might as well encounter a tough cop having a talk or if you are unlucky write a fine.

I did not meet that many cops but in 12 years or driving I have never encountered serious troubles. Some car drivers seem to get irritated. Evading a queue is almost the worst crime you can commit in Sweden. ;)

I also think that Swedish drivers are in general bad at observing their rear mirrors, which makes it a bit tricky sometimes as well.

In practice you will see enough motorcycles lane splitting and practicing it in a modest way is the best way to make it more accepted. Show by example.

Steffo_b

Gudomlig sporthojare
Gick med
20 Jul 2007
Hoj
2006, Honda VFR 800FA
Welcome.

License plate: The law says it has to be visible to an officer standing behind the bike, so a tucked plate may give a fine. The law also states that it should be illuminated. They've gotten smart and added that your bike is not meeting specifications as well, meaning that you have to take it for a "registration inspection" as well as paying the fine.

Lane splitting: A gray zone here. Done safely and with respect is normally not an issue. Done "as we normally do it" is reckless driving. I tried to ask "what if you go fast enough to see the cars as cones and use them for slalom practise?", the officer did not find my question amusing at all, good thing he thought I was joking.
If i remember correctly the plate has to be placed behind the rear wheel axle and there are limits to how much you can tilt it up or down. I think it is something like 10 degrees down and 20 degrees up but I am i no way sure of those numbers.

So if it is placed in front of the rear wheel axle it is illegal and if it is tilted down or up a lot it is also illegal.

owg1

Ny medlem
Gick med
26 Jan 2022
Hoj
If i remember correctly the plate has to be placed behind the rear wheel axle and there are limits to how much you can tilt it up or down. I think it is something like 10 degrees down and 20 degrees up but I am i no way sure of those numbers.

So if it is placed in front of the rear wheel axle it is illegal and if it is tilted down or up a lot it is also illegal.
Any idea *how* illegal? Like a stern talking to and slap on the wrist, or a heavy fine, or bike confiscated?

Ulvhamne

Kraschmongo
Gick med
16 Oct 2010
Hoj
Literklubba, tjejhundra, och pendlarmoppe
Any idea *how* illegal? Like a stern talking to and slap on the wrist, or a heavy fine, or bike confiscated?
Depends on how cranky the police officer is, and how well he knows the rules.
But anywhere between a stern talking to, to fines and an inspection at one of them inspection stations.
Unless you're getting caught regularly for excessive traffic infractions, the vehicle will not be forfeited.

smilfinken

Gudomlig sporthojare
Gick med
6 Nov 2020
Hoj
Bonneville
Some car drivers seem to get irritated. Evading a queue is almost the worst crime you can commit in Sweden. ;)
It seems like it's about 50/50 if the driver who do check their mirror will move to block or give you space during the morning commute standstill.

Steffo_b

Gudomlig sporthojare
Gick med
20 Jul 2007
Hoj
2006, Honda VFR 800FA
Depends a bit. As a general rule it is fined the same way as not having a license plate at all. That means 1500 SEK for the first time. And you will most likely also get the requirement to within a certain time install plates correctly and then show it either at a police station or at an inspection center. If you get stopped further times without having it corrected they might get cranky and ban the vehicle totally before passing inspection.
And keep in mind that the police cars i many cases nowadays have automated systems that flag any vehicle in the vicinity that has a registration number that is marked for further inspection or plate can not be read.
Meaning if you have been stopped and reported for faulty plate installation you will most likely get stopped again as soon as a police car (painted or civil) comes near you and the system flags you for either having your plate number or having an unreadable plate.
And if it is done consistently they mot likely will report you to the licence autority and you risk getting you drivers licence revoked but that is quite unlikely.

the probability is not that big given that traffic police is not that frequent but it is certainly worth keeping in mind.

CooperCorgi

Medlem
Gick med
22 Jan 2016
Hoj
MT-09 2021
Short answer: Yes, it’s a police magnet. Mainly because it’s super easy to spot and also super easy to give someone a fine for. Really no plausible way to explain why your license plate ended up where it did. ?
The Swedish license plates are so small that I personally stick to a small tail tidy. I have enough of semi-legal mods done to my bike. I don't want to give the police a reason to sniff around too much around it. ?

owg1

Ny medlem
Gick med
26 Jan 2022
Hoj
Yeah I think it probably isn't worth the hassle, I'm just curious as to what the realities are for those that are doing it.

Tegel1432

Gudomlig sporthojare
Gick med
23 Sep 2019
Hoj
Flera
Yeah I think it probably isn't worth the hassle, I'm just curious as to what the realities are for those that are doing it.
A friend of mine has his plate like that. He has to fix it before every inspection and we get stopped by the police every now then when we ride together. However he has never got a ticket for it.

owg1

Ny medlem
Gick med
26 Jan 2022
Hoj
A friend of mine has his plate like that. He has to fix it before every inspection and we get stopped by the police every now then when we ride together. However he has never got a ticket for it.
Aha thanks for the data point! Anyone else have experience?

Old Badger

SportHojsentusiast
Gick med
12 Aug 2009
Hoj
Engelska sporthojar
Hey, hope English is okay, I'm not fully there with written Swedish yet.

I've seen people riding around with tucked plates (an example https://i.redd.it/sqlcp4ponuxa1.jpg), I'm assuming they won't pass inspection (anyone tried?), but what's the likelyhood of getting stopped with one? And if you did what would the penalties be?

I've seen you can get a kit with a light for the plate for my bike, so I'm tempted, it's the cleanest possible looking solution.

Thanks!
Filtering is OK if done like in the UK.

It´s illegal in Germany but I still filter like 9 out of 10 bikers does. And according to the German police I spoke to they only fine you if you´re wreckless. But you should never ever be wreckless when riding anyway! :7peta
Never had any problems with the police when filtering in Sweden. And I do lots of miles... But when I get back from the UK and still have their pace my friends cannot keep up... :rodnar

Regarding the numberplate, if you want to have regular conversations with the police... :tungan

Raderad medlem 61114

Aha thanks for the data point! Anyone else have experience?
I have it tucked in, stopped once in Göteborg, didn't get a ticket. I live outside the big city, cops are a rare sight. However, if i would live in a big city i would not have it like this... Now it was like this when I bought my bike. Fine by me :)

Lane splitting... Just do it.

owg1

Ny medlem
Gick med
26 Jan 2022
Hoj
I have it tucked in, stopped once in Göteborg, didn't get a ticket. I live outside the big city, cops are a rare sight. However, if i would live in a big city i would not have it like this... Now it was like this when I bought my bike. Fine by me :)

Lane splitting... Just do it.
Maybe I'll save it for when I move to the country, seems like a nice life out there!

Nyheter
Provkörning pågår: läckra Yamaha XSR 900 GP

Sandy kör XSR 900 GP All...

Bike på Ténéré Spirit Experience i Marocko!

Yamahas fabriksteam i Rally...

Besök oss på BikeDagarna i Trollhättan!

Årets BikeDagar har precis ...

Besök oss på BikeDagarna i Trollhättan!

Årets BikeDagar har precis ...

Anmälan till Start2Ride 2024 har öppnat

Screenshot Biljettförsäl...

Anmälan öppen till HUSQVARNA TREK 2024

Nu är ägare av Husqvarna No...

Peter kör nya Svartpilen 801

Bara några kilometer från a...

En helt ny Husqvarna!