Help with sportbike?

nudibranch

Ny medlem
Gick med
28 Jun 2015
Hoj
Triumph
Hello!

Sorry for writing in English, I'm (slowly) learning.
I am almost 40 and have had a motorcycle license for 20 years no accidents. For a 2002 CBR 954 they say 35000 per year? The bike is only 30000 to buy. The lowest I got was traffic insurance for 12000 per year. I've tried all the companies in the list. Is there anything else I can do?

Tack

Last edited:

Ulvhamne

Kraschmongo
Gick med
16 Oct 2010
Hoj
Literklubba, tjejhundra, och pendlarmoppe
Get a traffic insurance, not a full insurance, with a bike only worth 30 000 the full insurance isn't worth it. Also, call several insurance companies, because the prices vary insanely much. Where you live also affects prices a lot...

nudibranch

Ny medlem
Gick med
28 Jun 2015
Hoj
Triumph
Get a traffic insurance, not a full insurance, with a bike only worth 30 000 the full insurance isn't worth it. Also, call several insurance companies, because the prices vary insanely much. Where you live also affects prices a lot...

Ok. I was thinking half insurance, but it's still brutally expensive considering my age. In the states, I was paying about 1600 kronor per year for my R1. It hurts :död

Ulvhamne

Kraschmongo
Gick med
16 Oct 2010
Hoj
Ok. I was thinking half insurance, but it's still brutally expensive considering my age. In the states, I was paying about 1600 kronor per year for my R1. It hurts :död

Yeah, it hurts. Like, a lot. :3freak
If you don't plan on riding daily you can go with an insurance that you can "turn on/off" by having the vehiclein active traffic or not, that can push the prices down a bit as well.
And telling the insurance company that you've raced is not going to lower your price, if anything they will hike it up even more.
Other types of bikes are cheaper though. And other models can be cheaper as well, even if they also are big sport bikes.
Welcome to Sweden. :hihi

SGM

BTG 8:20
Gick med
29 Feb 2008
Hoj
ZX10 , Nishiki Race Carbon, Superior XF
Svedea is usually cheap. Also, become a member in smc, 10% discount right there

Svedea won't touch sportsbikes (full fairing ones that is).

Länsförsäkringar are usually kind to us older gents (I pay ~10' annually for my 2012 ZX10R, 40+, smaller town, no claims, etc).

But it's a lottery, so try the usual suspects as well, IF and Trygghansa.

Mandelhyndan

Medlem
Gick med
9 Mar 2015
Hoj
Aprilia Tuono 11
Svedea won't touch sportsbikes (full fairing ones that is).

Länsförsäkringar are usually kind to us older gents (I pay ~10' annually for my 2012 ZX10R, 40+, smaller town, no claims, etc).

But it's a lottery, so try the usual suspects as well, IF and Trygghansa.
Ah, yeah true. Did not read your question to well ?
Svedea only offer a general sportsbike insurance...

Lived in Sweden only a short while? Perhaps that affects the cost aswell

mkii

Sporthojsnörd
Gick med
16 Dec 2012
Hoj
Suzuki GSXR 750 2008
Try and check out different numberplates for the "same" bike, even that can sometime affect insurance, if you find the same bike cheaper (for reasons i don't know) just give them a call and tell them, then you prob get the lower insurance.

but supersports are really expensive to own in sweden :( but 12k sounds much, i a'm 25 and i pay
15k for full insurance on a suzuki gsxr750 2008-2009 and 9k in traffic insurance.

Skärmavbild 2016-04-06 kl. 09.42.15.jpgSkärmavbild 2016-04-06 kl. 09.41.21.jpg

nudibranch

Ny medlem
Gick med
28 Jun 2015
Hoj
Triumph
Try and check out different numberplates for the "same" bike,
This is a good idea. I know I want a 954 again (had a couple already), so I just picked the only one on blocket where I could see the license plate. Maybe when I buy one, it will be lower.

Thanks!

Ulvhamne

Kraschmongo
Gick med
16 Oct 2010
Hoj
This is a good idea. I know I want a 954 again (had a couple already), so I just picked the only one on blocket where I could see the license plate. Maybe when I buy one, it will be lower.

Thanks!

Also, private imports may have ridiculusly expensive insurance.

jpe70

Twinverkstan
Gick med
8 Sep 2003
Hoj
Landets snabbaste TRX (det finns inte så många kvar)
Can't compare insurance in Sweden and the States directly. Terms and cover is usually quite different. However there are some good tip delivered here.

Still, it's f-ing expensive...

Last edited:

RymdBörje

Seriöst fartblind
Gick med
29 May 2010
Hoj
Ducati 748, 848
Anyway, you don't want to have full time insurance for that bike.

What you want is what in Swedish is known as an "Avställningsbar försäkring" That Roughly translates into "Hibernatable Insurance" [geez I just made that up...]...well you sort of put it to sleep when you don't use it. More on that later/below. Any reputable insurance company will now what this is. If not go elsewhere.

Basically what you want to do regardless of insurance company, they're all really the same b*%#&!ds, is to have on demand insurance. Thanks to the moderna wonders of smartphones etc it's a piece of cake to activate and/or deactivate the bike in the registry by a button press or two. Again thanks to the wonders of modern technology if you've come to some arrangement with an insurance company the insurance will go live and/or hibernate in pace with the registry activities. This all boils down to you not paying for more insurance than what you actually use.

Activate in morning and decactive in evening...if the weather sucks...don't pay anything but the small administrative fee.

Any reasonably modern bike with a fairing is prohibetively expensive to ensure...by anyone...anywhere.
It's tantamount to robbery...the....weasels.

In the end not having the bike ensured all year round but rather on demand is less expensive than what i t might seem to be at first but because you pay only for what you actually use...it's not cheaper only less expensive.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:

Ankan1

Ny medlem
Gick med
14 Jul 2011
Pendlar i Skåne mellan storstaden och landet.
Hoj
Suzuki Hayabusa / Honda Super Blackbird
The Swedish insurance companies are from hell when they probably got prices and attitude directly from that place.I am over 50 and have a cheaper bike insurance on the CBR 1100 XX than i have on the car, S80 2.5T. I have asked about this several times but only get answers like, (that was really strange !?). :dummer

Last edited:

ingvar.olsson

Sporthojsnörd
Gick med
31 Jul 2005
Hoj
KTM RC8R Track , Husaberg FE390 , Aprilia RXV 550 samt Aprilia RST1000 Futura
The only way I know to drive a sporty bike in Sweden is to choose an older bike that never was a supersport to begin with.

For instance if you choose a 1995 or older Honda VFR 750 you can have a full coverage insurance for approximately 1600 SEK a year.

/Ingvar

Klubba

Gudomlig sporthojare
Gick med
8 Apr 2007
Hoj
1290GT, K1200S
The only way I know to drive a sporty bike in Sweden is to choose an older bike that never was a supersport to begin with.

For instance if you choose a 1995 or older Honda VFR 750 you can have a full coverage insurance for approximately 1600 SEK a year.

/Ingvar

The other most obvious way is to NOT live in stockholm. My BM is 2400sek/year with extra breakdown insurance, my previous 2005 zx6r was ~3500sek/year, also quite affordable.

Murmeldjuret

Gudomlig sporthojare
Gick med
21 Mar 2010
Hoj
701 Enduro, KLV1000
Dont forget to check with Gjensidige. They are by far the cheapest for me to insure my CBR600RR

Ulvhamne

Kraschmongo
Gick med
16 Oct 2010
Hoj
The other most obvious way is to NOT live in stockholm. My BM is 2400sek/year with extra breakdown insurance, my previous 2005 zx6r was ~3500sek/year, also quite affordable.

When I checked the insurance prices for a 929 on myself, I got 4500/year, which is ok I guess. :hihi

sportbike

ond
Personal
Gick med
1 Oct 2005
Hoj
avverkat 50+
Och jag som trodde att jag hade gjort nåt dumt :hej

( And I thought that I had done something stupid )

Last edited:

swlabr

Sporthojsnörd
Gick med
17 Nov 2011
Hoj
1984, Suzuki GSX400FWS; 1996 Honda CBR900RR Fireblade
I checked prices for me in Stockholm for a 2004 954.
Länsförsäkringar
Full ensurance year around: 41028kr (!)
Half ensurance year around: 27516kr
Traffic only: 9276kr

There's an option to choose "smart ensurance", which means storing it in a garage during night, no one drives it but you and you always use full protective gear while driving.

Then it becomes full ensurance year round: 26880kr
Half ensurance all year: 22392kr

There's also a selection called "högre självrisk vid vagnskada" (how do you translate that?) 8000kr instead of 3000kr.

Then I get: Full/Year: 25308kr
Half/Year : 22392kr

My point is that I'm only a few years older than you, I live in Stockholm and I have had my license much shorter time than you, but I still seem to get lower prices. Checked with a 954 on Blocket just now.

Nyheter
Boka provkörning under Start2Ride nu

Under helgen arrangerar mot...

Dags för 2024 års Start2Ride

Kommande helg arrangerar mo...

Härlig uppslutning på kortegen i Sydnärke!

Den traditionsenliga mc-kor...

Eldrivna Oruga Unitrack

Oruga Unitrack, en motorcyk...

Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya storsatsar

Gran Premi de Catalunya Mot...

Lunchhälsning från Merzouga!

Bästa ökenguiden, Jordi Arc...

Rapport från Marocko: Dag 1

Vi bekantar oss med lokalin...

Godmorgon från Erfoud!

Provkörning pågår: läckra Yamaha XSR 900 GP

Sandy kör XSR 900 GP All...

Bike på Ténéré Spirit Experience i Marocko!

Yamahas fabriksteam i Rally...