My new Engine Management System project

Jerena

Ny medlem
Gick med
24 Sep 2019
Hoj
Kawasaki Versys 650cc
Project presentation:

A basic Engine Management System (ECU) idealized to manage a 2-Stroke/4-Stroke up to 2 cylinders applied in: mini/small/medium motorcycle, trimmer, chainsaw, motorized bike, moped, Go-kart etc.

Inputs:
- VRS sensor
- Two Hall Sensor (Possibility to replace VRS to Hall Sensor technology, the second input can used to measure vehicle speed, or can use to Hall Sensor inputs to implement an anti-wheelie strategy calculate the speed difference between front wheel and rear wheel and decreasing torque immediately through the ignition advance timing)
- Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)
- On-board Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP)
- Water Temperature
- Lambda Sensor (two types: narrow or wide band, depends how the PCB was populated)

Outputs:
- Control Stepper Motor Driver for an Idle Air Control actuator with auto-diagnostic (to manage Idle Speed set-point and simulate Throttle dash-pot mechanism)
- Three relay drive (Crank / Fuel Pump / Auxiliary ) with auto-diagnostic
- Two injection drives with auto-diagnostic (High Impedance)
- Two ignition drives with auto-diagnostic (for TDI Ignition System / High Impedance)
- Trigger Signal to command a external Ignition System like a Capacitance Discharge Ignition (CDI)
(this is a discussion point, because the chosen uC, it doesn´t a free pin to control a two cylinder CDI)
- Generates a tachometer signal for a Cluster
- Lambda Heater Driver
- Two extra drivers (Low Side and High Side) to improve new functionalities (example: MIL, shift-light, nitro valve etc.)

Communication:
- K-Line for diagnostic/services purposes
- CAN (integrate with another modules as: Cluster, BCM, Brake System and other things that you wish, implement diagnoses routines, maintenance services, configuration services etc.)
- I2C to connect with another electronic modules as: Accelerometer, LCD, RF modules etc.
- Serial (USART) to Flashing and update software in a simple way (without specific development tool to flash microcontroller directly) use only a PC USB + adapter (USB to serial), also can use to calibrate system (easy to implement an interface that communicates PC to ECU)

Operational functionalities:
- On the fly full calibration (Injection Map, Ignition Map, Engine Idle Set-point, fuel compensations, spark advance compensations etc.)
- Memorized important parameters about the trip: max engine speed, atmospheric pressure, fail historic etc. System was equipped with a Power Latch circuit where when you turn the key-on position to key-off and the system can record all important data inside the RAM memory to FLASH memory before the ECU power off, becoming a permanent available data)

The relevant system characteristics are:
- Cheap and feasible to create a prototype (for this I was defined a very cheap microcontroller but is not compliant with automotive standards, I was choose an uC similar that applied in Bluepill development board, but with two times more FLASH memory)
- Very simple and cheap connectors (they not automotive compliant, but I believe it works perfectly for start test period because I based my development to my experience with Megasquirt ECU and other systems that I did)
- To use robust devices to ensure success in operation (the most critical parts as: Injector drivers, Ignition drivers, relay drivers etc.)
- After base software was built, easy to implement new functionalities
- Reusable in new/different setups and specific projects (can easy configurable)

I have some experience to develop this kind of system and I would you like to find some people motivated to develop with me as partners and contributors, because demands a lot of work to develop and validate and I´m not specialized in all development areas as: Hardware Design, PCB design, Wire Harness design, Diagnostic Software implementation, some Control strategies, Communication Protocols) and at this moment I don´t have a motorcycle to perform the validation tests, my main skills are based in coding and software architecture design, but I have a comprehensive knowledge about electrical and mechanics parts are involved at this kind of product development, my objective is create an affordable Engine Management lab, improve my knowledge and experience, exchange knowledge, increase my network contacts here in Sweden (because I´m new here) and have fun, mainly!
To start, I drew a draft containing the main Ideas about the hardware circuit that I was presented in requirements list showed above and I believe it´s a good start to develop the software (architecture, libraries and etc.)
About the software the first idea is create a scheduler using FreeRTOS with some callbacks (temporary and by events), the uC static configuration to configure and define all basic hardware functionalities, some fundamental libraries with basic functionalities (crankshaft period/speed/angular position, engine temperature, throttle position and others) and in application level all the strategies to manage the engine combustion (control injector valve to inject the adequate fuel quantity, to calculate the best spark advance angle to control ignition drivers to generates spark at the precision moment and other things).
As a complex project, needs to start to develop simple strategies and after achieve a good base software (stable), improve and sophisticate controls step by step...
I have many other ideas related (modernize old Off-Road Motorcycles to increase performance and functionalities, create hybrid small engines, permit engine to work with another fuel types, increase performance and decrease pollution generation and many another technical possibilities that become achievable).
Someone would like to help me or give me some tips/suggestion about it?
I have many personal documents that support my ideas, I can show you if anyone is interested…
PS: The hardware schematics drew is not definitive version, I´m using to developed the Schematics and PCB a free development environment called EasyEDA.

View attachment New_ECU.pdf

moddlaren

Avliden medlem
Gick med
13 Dec 2016
Hoj
YZF1000R
https://www.ecotrons.com/small_engine_fuel_injection_kit/400cc_to_800cc_engine_fuel_injection_kit/

Hi.

On this sidecan you find everything you ask fore this system hawe being able to buye in 10 year till nowe and worx great on both 2-4stroke.

Then you hawe mikrosquirt

http://megasquirt.info/products/pro-controllers/microsquirt/

A werry smal butt highly compettitive indjektion system for quit smal monny.

After this you hawe ignitech.

http://www.ignitech.cz/en/vyrobky/dccdip2_race/dccdip2_race.htm

In this cheap box are ewerything you ewer will nead to gett a enging to work in anny way includer auto chifter and alott others funktion.

Grets

Jerena

Ny medlem
Gick med
24 Sep 2019
Hoj
Kawasaki Versys 650cc
https://www.ecotrons.com/small_engine_fuel_injection_kit/400cc_to_800cc_engine_fuel_injection_kit/

Hi.

On this sidecan you find everything you ask fore this system hawe being able to buye in 10 year till nowe and worx great on both 2-4stroke.

Then you hawe mikrosquirt

http://megasquirt.info/products/pro-controllers/microsquirt/

A werry smal butt highly compettitive indjektion system for quit smal monny.

After this you hawe ignitech.

http://www.ignitech.cz/en/vyrobky/dccdip2_race/dccdip2_race.htm

In this cheap box are ewerything you ewer will nead to gett a enging to work in anny way includer auto chifter and alott others funktion.

Grets

Hi, thank you for all information!
Some years ago, I had a superficial contact with Ecotrons Products (I studied they products to learn and get ideas), they have evolved a lot in recent years... I believe it´s a very good product and adopt some important characteristics in my opinion: accordance with some automotive standards and have a good quality components.
However, in my personal opinion, is quite expensive to use in small and simple vehicles (specially old vehicles).

Microsquirt is a low cost Megasquirt limited, I have never seen before and after a fast research I found the schematics about this project, have a NXP uC MC9S12C32, following some information about this component:

The HC9S12C64 microcontroller unit (MCU) is a 16-bit device with standard on-chip peripherals including:

16-bit central processing unit,
64K bytes of Flash EEPROM,
4K bytes of RAM,
The bus runs at 24 MHz. This is true instruction clock speed, not a crystal speed.

The project that I was proposed use an ARM STM32F103CBT6:

Mainstream Performance line, ARM Cortex-M3 MCU with 128 Kbytes Flash, 72 MHz CPU, motor control, USB and CAN
Real-time performance Cortex, 32 bits , 20K bytes of SRAM

This microcontroller have an newest architecture (ARM), is powerful and faster and you can buy for 2,5 dollars, other important characteristic they have a very good support for ST, we can found documentation, tools and etc.

When I was university student I studied the Megasquirt software and it was very confused and I can´t found good documentation about, however the system documentation as: control strategies and hardware it was fantastic. About the device was responsible for peripheral controls (L9177A) is very robust and in accordance with automotive standards (AEC-Q100), have many auto-diagnostics and self-protections and the most important thing: a possibility to create something new, this is the fuel for all innovative guys!

The Ignitech System store have a lot of products and I will study about to get my own conclusion, but as expensive as Ecotrons System or maybe more…

I´m sure we have many available systems, but my desire is to develop one to learn and have experience, and not use a commercial system only!

*To try do this in a collaborative mode it´s a big challenge!
PS: In this point * the Microsquirt is one of the best

moddlaren

Avliden medlem
Gick med
13 Dec 2016
Hoj
YZF1000R
I forgott that wallbro hawe reales one smal engine fuel injektion for smal 2-4 stroke chainsawe, snoweblower and more.

Its werry interesting projekt that you try to create.

Sorry fore bad englich im better to read then wright.

Bearing

Gudomlig sporthojare
Gick med
19 May 2004
Hoj
R1100S, XS400
Cool project, and nice ambitions!
If you would have asked for my help 10 years ago, I would have signed up immediately. But nowdays, I'm only interested in electric machines. ^^
Call me when you want to develop your own inverter! =)
With that said, if you want to have some input from an EE (me) just ask. (We are apparently not far from each other - neighbouring towns.) But I'm too busy with way too many electric vehicle projects to put much time on developing something like this unfortunately. (Anchient technology (?) :p)

Last edited:

Jerena

Ny medlem
Gick med
24 Sep 2019
Hoj
Kawasaki Versys 650cc
Cool project, and nice ambitions!
If you would have asked for my help 10 years ago, I would have signed up immediately. But nowdays, I'm only interested in electric machines. ^^
Call me when you want to develop your own inverter! =)
With that said, if you want to have some input from an EE (me) just ask. (We are apparently not far from each other - neighbouring towns.) But I'm too busy with way too many electric vehicle projects to put much time on developing something like this unfortunately. (Anchient technology (?) :p)

Is very good to know, my intention to come here to Sweden is learn and get experience working with Hybrid/Electric Vehicles! I have experience with Engine Management System and Transmission (Powertrain area), one of the most improvements for this system proposed by me is integrate with an Electric Motor Controller, I would like to create a Hybrid Bycicle low cost and understand how to manage the combustion engine and electrical motor together to optize the energy spented, I don´t like so much for the low autonomy for Electrical Vehicles (specially this simple and low cost), unfortunaly the battery and electric motor are very expencive nowadays when you compare power/weight/cost with a intern combustion engine!
If you wanted some help where I can use my experience and knowledge to help you I´m available, I´m very curious and ready to learn!
Thank you!

Bearing

Gudomlig sporthojare
Gick med
19 May 2004
Hoj
R1100S, XS400
With a good charger and a battery of the right size, the vehicle can cover enough km per day for me! =)

I have only played with used batteries, due to the costs of new ones in low volumes. But soon new batteries aren't going to be that expensive either, prices are dropping fast. I payed less than 1/8th of the cost per kWh for the latest 30kWh of used batteries I bought, compared to the first 24kWh I bought a few years ago. And I believe Tesla spends less per kWh for their production batteries than I payed for that first used battery pack.

I'll send you a pm, I think we should have a chat soon about cool electric vehicles.

Last edited:
Nyheter
Anmälan öppen till Husqvarna TREK 2024

Husqvarna TREK 2024 –...

Snart dags för ”We Ride As One”

Den 4 maj är det åter dags ...

Nyheter från skinnjätten Dainese!

Under 80- och 90-talet och ...

Skaparen, samlaren och evighetsmaskinen

”och om du tittar här...

Sex nya MC-stipendiater 2024

För tolfte året bidrar Sved...