Motorcycle mechanic searching for work in Sweden

Papierkorb

Ny medlem
Gick med
20 Jul 2014
Hoj
Yamaha XT 600
Hej!

My name is Tim, I'm 21 years old and from Germany.

I'm currently in a 3,5-year-education to become a motorcycle mechanic and after finishing in about a year I would like to go abroad to work. Since I love Scandinavia and especially Sweden, it would be really nice to work there for some time (a year or two or even longer). It doesn't necessarily have to be motorcycle-focused only, I'd also repair/maintain other kind of smaller motorized vehicles (snowmobiles or stuff like that)... Though I'm obsessed with motorcycling so this direction would be cool! :)

I'm posting here to ask you:

- How's the general situation with motorcycling in Sweden? From what I've seen you have a lots of motorcycle dealers, especially in the southern part of your country, so I guess it is kinda popular (otherwise this nice forum wouldn't exist, right? :tungan ).

- Generally spoken, are mechanics wanted? How's the current situation with that?

Of course I'm already searching for info about that on my own and will continue to do so, but I thought it would be also nice to get some inside-info from you bikers, ya know?

So if you have any piece of information or advice or anthing else concerning that stuff, please do not hesitate to post here, I'm grateful for everything.

Thank you a lot in advance and rock on! :hojbusa

Tim

Ese

Ny medlem
Gick med
1 Oct 2013
Hoj
Fuji Aloha 2.0 (<10kg); H2-72; ZX10R-05; S1000RR-11
Hi,
To give a realistic view, including my own reflections and some ideas:
-the MC-season in Sweden in considerably shorter than e.g in Germany. Only very few people use their bike for commuting to work around the year (not as e.g. in UK or Germany). Hence, to riding mc is dominantly a *hobby* here.. Being a hobby, it requires some enthusiasm or interest. And quite a few mc-enthusiasists also do a lot in the bike by themselves.. Though, not at all everyone...
-in general, the MC dealers with workshops have challenges with their profits. Every now and then we are seeing news that a well-known mc-company have ceased to exist. I would imagine the rootcauses for this being the short season combined with fierce price-competition on accessories and spares, as of the international, internet-based shops and sales. (obviously the total labour costs in Sweden are quite horrible for an entreprenour)

-on the other hand I have understood that there are many openings for skilled motor mechanics, especially for ones being good at working with heavy vehicles (trucks, buses,..)

-so, if you are handy, self-going, smart, service-minded and work reasonably fast delivering always quality (without producing "new faults") I would imagine you can certainly find a job! Especially if you can be flexible (e.g. willing to work in July or long hours when the need is "on") and then e.g combine the mc-season with some other mechanic-work during the wintertime.

Pls note: all these views are just my private thoughts - not probably even the best ones as I am not working within the industry and I seldom visit a store. (- I let no other people to screw or serve my bike.. :lol )

Best luck for your job hunting! It is right to strive doing what you indeed would like to do..! :tummenupp

Papierkorb

Ny medlem
Gick med
20 Jul 2014
Hoj
Yamaha XT 600
Hi,

thx a lot, that was some useful information. I'll continue my search and this helped a lot already! :tummenupp

See ya!

Nyheter
Anmälan till 2024 års DGR öppen

Den 18 maj är det dags för ...

Ny majoritetsägare och styrelse för MV Agusta

Luca Martin, Hubert Trunken...

Ny Indian Scout på väg

Indian Motorcycle har bekrä...

Honda CB125R uppdaterad

24YM HONDA CB125R 2024 å...

Designtävling med Yamaha – Vinn en LEGO MT-10 SP!

Färglägg en XSR 900 GP &#82...

Designtävling med Yamaha – Vinn en LEGO MT-10 SP!

Färglägg en XSR 900 GP &#82...

Ny Indian Scout på gång

En ny version av Indian Sco...

Honda uppdaterar CB125R

24YM HONDA CB125R 2024 å...

Husqvarna Svartpilen 801!

Äntligen är den här, Husqva...

Färre stulna motorcyklar 2023

Varje år sammanställer Larm...