UK trip to collect bikes

imthetourguy

Ny medlem
Gick med
6 Jan 2011
Hoj
Armstrong MT500 / Harley MT350
Didn’t see this as I just drove to UK and got here yesterday but I will post if I have another trip planned

This is awesome. How many bikes can you fit in and what is the rough cost of the transportation? I'm in Göteborg and may need 1 or more bikes lifted, possibly in Peterborough.

Yami

Gudomlig sporthojare
Gick med
14 Jul 2009
Hoj
XJR1300
Didn’t see this as I just drove to UK and got here yesterday but I will post if I have another trip planned
I can see that you live in Skåne as I am, what about picking up some fairings?
There´s a shop in Hertfordshire selling plastic I want for my build.
Let me know if it´s possible.

Edit: Stevenage Hertfordshire (along the A1).

Last edited:

majkpajk80

Ny medlem
Gick med
26 Aug 2011
Hoj
HondaCBR 600
Headlights

Hi´
I talked with a friend that would like to buy his dream bike in UK since the bike would be possible to get cheaper there compared to Sweden. Although I have heard that you need to change the headlight for the bike since the head beam is not in the right angle due to left-, right-driving in each country.
Is there anyone that actually know what the requirement is in Sweden and if there is a requirement; the costs to do so in Sweden or UK.

A good example would be to a the cost for changing a headlight on a BMW 1000cc. If anyone have the prices to any other bike that would be helpful as well.

Cheers!!
Michael :gnissla

Brit

Is lost in translation...
Gick med
9 May 2007
Hoj
Something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue
I can see that you live in Skåne as I am, what about picking up some fairings?
There´s a shop in Hertfordshire selling plastic I want for my build.
Let me know if it´s possible.

Edit: Stevenage Hertfordshire (along the A1).

Yami,

The short answer is yes its possible as fairing weigh next to nothing but they take up the space but if I have room, I'm happy enough to bring some back but… I'm not sure I will be going again for some months as the biking season is nearly over…

I'm happy enough to send my contact details if you want them?

Hi´
I talked with a friend that would like to buy his dream bike in UK since the bike would be possible to get cheaper there compared to Sweden. Although I have heard that you need to change the headlight for the bike since the head beam is not in the right angle due to left-, right-driving in each country.
Is there anyone that actually know what the requirement is in Sweden and if there is a requirement; the costs to do so in Sweden or UK.

A good example would be to a the cost for changing a headlight on a BMW 1000cc. If anyone have the prices to any other bike that would be helpful as well.

Cheers!!
Michael :gnissla

Hello Michael,

I have brought a few bikes from UK and put Swedish plates on them and its easy enough but it does take some time and its all explained here

Regarding the headlight price, you start looking for one on here, blocket, UK ebay etc and the cheapest way is to change them yourself or with a mate.
Most modern bikes have digital speedo’s and they can be changed by pressing a few buttons and its easy enough as Google will find how for you in a few mins.

Last edited:

majkpajk80

Ny medlem
Gick med
26 Aug 2011
Hoj
HondaCBR 600
Yami,

The short answer is yes its possible as fairing weigh next to nothing but they take up the space but if I have room, I'm happy enough to bring some back but… I'm not sure I will be going again for some months as the biking season is nearly over…

Hello Michael,

I have brought a few bikes from UK and put Swedish plates on them and its easy enough but it does take some time and its all explained here

Regarding the headlight price, you start looking for one on here, blocket, UK ebay etc and the cheapest way is to change them yourself or with a mate.
Most modern bikes have digital speedo’s and they can be changed by pressing a few buttons and its easy enough as Google will find how for you in a few mins.

Thanks. I reconize that you can change the digital Speedo quite easily. What about this head light history. What would a general price be for a Yahamha R1 to change the head light? And, do you just change the bulb or how much do you need to change? Is it even possible to find these parts in UK, since the standard must be of Swedish requirments?

Thanks! ! :)

Yami

Gudomlig sporthojare
Gick med
14 Jul 2009
Hoj
XJR1300
Yami,

:tummenupp
Very nice, it´s for my project so it ain´t that urgent.
Please send me your contact details.

Brit

Gick med
9 May 2007
Hoj
Thanks. I reconize that you can change the digital Speedo quite easily. What about this head light history. What would a general price be for a Yahamha R1 to change the head light? And, do you just change the bulb or how much do you need to change? Is it even possible to find these parts in UK, since the standard must be of Swedish requirments?

Thanks! ! :)

I'm not sure what you mean about the headlight history but when a bike is registered for Swedish plates the headlight ‘dip’ is tested as part of the test.
Remember its only UK that drive/ride on the other side of the road within the EU so there are more bikes & parts available for bikes that ride on the right side of the road.
An R1 is a popular bike for the track so race teams will have some for sale I'm sure, here in Sweden or other EU countries.

Hope that helps and makes sense

:tummenupp
Very nice, it´s for my project so it ain´t that urgent.
Please send me your contact details.

welcome and details are on the way :tummenupp
I like projects, what's your's then ?

Last edited:

Yami

Gudomlig sporthojare
Gick med
14 Jul 2009
Hoj
XJR1300
welcome and details are on the way :tummenupp
I like projects, what's your's then ?
Thx, I got your pm, will call soon. :tummenupp

About the project, a YZF750 (Yamaha Motor France bike) lookalike, for the road. Doesn´t say replica because of road use and colour.
Parts from Thunderace, YZF750 SP, R1 and the fairings of course. :)
Was a bit unsure in the beginning what to use but that´s just been sorted out.
http://www.sporthoj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245439

Cheers!

Brit

Gick med
9 May 2007
Hoj
Thx, I got your pm, will call soon. :tummenupp

About the project, a YZF750 (Yamaha Motor France bike) lookalike, for the road. Doesn´t say replica because of road use and colour.
Parts from Thunderace, YZF750 SP, R1 and the fairings of course. :)
Was a bit unsure in the beginning what to use but that´s just been sorted out.
http://www.sporthoj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245439

Cheers!

Very nice and a good project... I hope to get mine apart over the winter and treat it to some new parts etc :)

StreetfighterGBG

Musclemachine
Gick med
7 Jul 2007
Hoj
1st ZX9R Streetfighter White Edition, 1st Honda SP1, 1st Aprilia Tricolore, 1st GSX-R 1000 K4 Svart, 1st ZX9R Streetfighter Dreams, ZX9R Streetfighter Ghost Editionl
I will buy an BMW M3 convertible in UK for import to Sweden in the next coming weeks:yoparty Preferably in London or Newcastle area:) Im frequently travelling to those destinations for business purposes.
Do you have any tip to give regarding checking the vehicle papers?

English Bloke

Re-living the 80's
Gick med
21 Sep 2003
Hoj
GSX-R 750 1986, Yamaha RD350LC 1982, Triumph Bonneville 1969, etc. etc.

Zantoz_SWE

Kiss my axe
Gick med
1 Apr 2009
Hoj
2005 R1
Hey folks. So what is the status with the trips to/from UK? I want to take my R1 back to London (from Linkoping) and perhaps buy a bike in Sweden instead. Anyone planning a trip soon? Otherwise I will have to do it the old fashioned way (ride to Denmark and cross with the ferry)

morano

Ny medlem
Gick med
6 Nov 2011
Hoj
Ducati Diavel Carbon Red 2011
Hey folks. So what is the status with the trips to/from UK? I want to take my R1 back to London (from Linkoping) and perhaps buy a bike in Sweden instead. Anyone planning a trip soon? Otherwise I will have to do it the old fashioned way (ride to Denmark and cross with the ferry)

Hi.
Waiting for a bike from UK to be delivered to Stockholm, end of nov. Perhaps they can take yours back. www.jamescargo.com

//Angelo

Brit

Gick med
9 May 2007
Hoj

I'm off to UK next month but it looks like it will be over Christmas due to work and will be there for a week or two.
It could be sooner but I won't know until the end of the month.

runar500

Ny medlem
Gick med
16 May 2010
Hoj
OW 01
I'm off to UK next month but it looks like it will be over Christmas due to work and will be there for a week or two.
It could be sooner but I won't know until the end of the month.

Hi!

Could you help out with an ebay deal I am concidering? The guy don't want to ship abroad. If you have an adress in the UK I could ship to, and pay you for bringing the bike over to Sweden, that would solve my problems. I am in no rush, I can wait till over New Year!

Regards, Runar

Brit

Gick med
9 May 2007
Hoj
Hi!

Could you help out with an ebay deal I am concidering? The guy don't want to ship abroad. If you have an adress in the UK I could ship to, and pay you for bringing the bike over to Sweden, that would solve my problems. I am in no rush, I can wait till over New Year!

Regards, Runar

I will PM you my contact details and see if we can work something out on your eBay deal as I'm off to Cardiff from Dover or Harwich

Last edited:

majkpajk80

Ny medlem
Gick med
26 Aug 2011
Hoj
HondaCBR 600
license

I am not sure if I am in the right place to put out my question here.
My question is if it is possible to take a motorcycle license in UK even that the person are not living in UK.
The person that asking has been living in UK before and still have an address there, although moved out from UK regards to a job. The person also got a non-british driving license for a car, but would, if possible send in the documents that is required to the DVLA even if he doesnt live there. Is it legal or not? Or does the person to be actually living in the country?
Is it legal to go to another country to take a driving license, even if you just live there for a few weeks?

thanx for answer...!!

Chunky Monkey

London's calling
Gick med
26 Aug 2003
Hoj
R1
I am not sure if I am in the right place to put out my question here.
My question is if it is possible to take a motorcycle license in UK even that the person are not living in UK.
The person that asking has been living in UK before and still have an address there, although moved out from UK regards to a job. The person also got a non-british driving license for a car, but would, if possible send in the documents that is required to the DVLA even if he doesnt live there. Is it legal or not? Or does the person to be actually living in the country?
Is it legal to go to another country to take a driving license, even if you just live there for a few weeks?

thanx for answer...!!

The rules are always changing, what I once knew about taking your driving licence is now out of date.

Check Here for more info : http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/LearningToDriveOrRide/DG_4022661

If he has an EU driving license he should be able to swap it for a UK one....

Why does your freind want to take his test in the UK?

Found some more info:

Taking a driving test

If you want to take a British driving test you must be a resident in GB. However, if you have moved to GB having recently been a permanent resident in another state of the EC/EEA, you must be a resident in GB for 185 days in the 12 months before your application for a driving test and full licence.

To take a GB driving test you will need to either:

apply for a GB counterpart licence (D58/2) by completing a D9 enclosing your community driving licence
exchange your community licence for the British equivalent and request the appropriate provisional entitlement

A provisional licence document is issued free of charge. However, the appropriate fee must be paid and your community licence surrendered in exchange for a GB one when claiming the full entitlement.

Download 'Application for a GB counterpart (form D9)' (PDF, 130K)

Help with PDF files

Last edited:
Nyheter
Anmälan öppen till Husqvarna TREK 2024

Husqvarna TREK 2024 –...

Snart dags för ”We Ride As One”

Den 4 maj är det åter dags ...

Nyheter från skinnjätten Dainese!

Under 80- och 90-talet och ...

Skaparen, samlaren och evighetsmaskinen

”och om du tittar här...

Sex nya MC-stipendiater 2024